We are proud of our lab. Because of their hard work and dedication, our lab was named the First Runner-up Medical Lab of the Year by Medical Lab Observer (MLO).
Each year the MLO accepts submissions from medical labs across the country to be in the running for Medical Lab of the Year. Because our lab has been making HUGE strides in improvement, they decided to come together and complete a submission for Lab of the Year, and MLO picked our lab as number two in the nation!
MLO’s Lab of the Year award coincides with National Medical Laboratory Professionals Week. They judge submissions based on measurable achievements in six areas:
- Customer service: How the lab handled tests and distribution of the results for internal customers, such as hospitals, physicians, as well as patient safety and outcomes.
- Productivity: How the laboratory has increased output, improved service levels, and enhanced quality, cost savings, and patient benefits. Has use of technology helped contribute to productivity improvements?
- Teamwork: How well laboratory staff members work together; how they work to make the group greater than the sum of its parts.
- Education and training: How well the laboratory prepares staff members to do a safe, cost-effective, efficient job; how well it prepares members for career advancement.
- Strategic outlook: Departmental strategic plan and its elements of innovation, creativity and originality.
- Lab inspections: results of inspections and if the lab has any accreditations.
The fact that UMC’s lab was picked as number two in the nation based on this criteria speaks volumes about our lab. Each person who works in our lab makes us successful in each of these six areas.
“We are very proud of our lab,” said Jose Luis Sanchez, Medical Technologist in the lab who prepared our submission. “Our lab is progressive, with total lab automation, which helps us make sure we are delivering great care. It is an honor to be selected as one of the best labs in the country.”