Car Seat Safety Events/Classes
Road injuries are the leading cause of preventable deaths in children in the United States3. UMC has a number of Child Passenger Safety Technicians (CPST) who provide car seat events and classes in partnership with DSHS Safe Riders Program. Check back to this website for upcoming classes at UMC.
- Get a Car Seat- For self-certified low-income families, UMC Health System provides one car seat for each child in the household. You must be the child’s legal guardian to obtain the seat.
- Correctly Install your Car Seat- 73 percent of car seats are not used correctly. A CPST will ensure your seat is installed correctly. Correctly used car seats can reduce the risk of deaths by as much as 71 percent.
- Check Car Seat Label- Ensure the car seat is appropriate for your child’s age, weight, and height.
- Buckle Up- Everyone in your vehicle must wear a seatbelt. Buckling up the correct way is the single most important thing a family can do!
For more on car seat safety, visit: www.safekids.org/car-seat
UMC Car Seat Class Information
- Classes are held monthly and child’s legal guardian must attend.
- Parents can call 806.761.0660 to register for the class.
- When you register please provide the child’s age and weight.
- Pregnant mothers will need to be in the 3rd trimester to obtain a seat.
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, all group classes are temporarily cancelled. However, feel free to schedule a virtual class by calling 806.761.0660.
Safe Kids Lubbock – Leading the Region