The DAISY Nurse Leader Award at UMC
As the healthcare landscape becomes more complex, with increasing demands on Nurse Leaders, we believe those who create an environment of compassion and recognition for others strongly deserve to be recognized themselves. With recognition, they may be held up as models of outstanding nursing leadership. Despite working under tremendous pressure, Nurse Leaders provide a haven of safety for staff, both physically and emotionally.In this environment, Nurses are inspired to do their very best. These leaders provide a setting where compassion is valued, and staff, in turn; treat patients and their families with deep humanity.
The DAISY Nurse Leader Award gives staff, patients, and families a way to express their gratitude for the compassionate environment Nurse Leaders provide. As with The DAISY Award for direct care Nurses, the nominations call for stories and examples of how leaders make a difference in patient care by making a difference through their leadership.
If you have a nurse leader you would like to nominate, describe the impact they have on staff and patient care they manage using the criteria below. Provide as much detail as possible to help UMC DAISY Committee in its selection.
Eligible leaders include: Directors, Assistant Directors, Educators, and other Nurse Leaders.
This Nurse Leader impacts staff and/or the patient care they manage by:
- Role model for compassion and exemplary practice
- Role models behavior perceived as extraordinary
- Creates an environment that fosters care & compassion
- Creates an environment where attributes of trust, compassion, mutual respect, continued professional development and ethical behavior are modeled and supported
- Motivates staff with a shared vision and enthusiasm to achieve better outcomes for themselves and for their patients
- Is a mentor to staff
- Accessible, available and responsive to the needs of others, encouraging critical thinking and problem-solving for individuals and with the context of teams
- Promotes and enhances the image of nursing within the organization, the community and the profession
- Embraces and role models Evidenced Based Practice
To nominate an extraordinary Nurse Leader click here.