The UMC/UMCP Reach for the Stars Nursing Scholarship Program is an exciting opportunity for UMC/UMCP to support the professional development of team members wishing to pursue careers in nursing. The scholarship is designed to provide financial assistance to eligible UMC/UMCP team members who meet the eligibility requirements outlined below. Scholarships cover costs including but not limited to tuition, educational materials, uniforms, and other reasonable educational expenses. A scholarship committee will review applications and distribute funds based on employees who demonstrate the greatest potential to succeed in becoming RNs. Preference will be given to employees pursuing an ADN.
An applicant must be:
- A current UMC/UMCP employee interested in pursuing a nursing career and must maintain at least part-time employment at UMC/UMCP throughout the program.
- Employed at UMC/UMCP for at least one year at the time of scholarship application and have no hospital/clinic disciplinary action write-up in the previous 12 months.
- High school graduate or holder of a High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma. Preference may be given to those who have completed pre-nursing coursework before the application process.
- Accepted to or enrolled full-time in an accredited nursing program offering an Associate or Bachelor’s degree in nursing.
- Must not be a private or for-profit college or university.
- Eligible for in-state tuition only.
- Willing to commit to employment with UMC for two (2) years upon completion of nursing degree.
- Complete and submit an application form that includes a 500-word personal statement on why you should be awarded the scholarship.
- Submit three (3) recommendation letters. Two (2) of the three (3) recommendations must be professional, and the third can be personal or professional. At least one of the recommendations must be from a current UMC/UMCP manager/supervisor who is familiar with the applicant’s work performance.
- Participate in a panel interview.
- Apply by Friday, April 28, 2023, which is also designated on the UMC website.
- Application form, along with supplemental items, including official college transcripts, if applicable, and nursing school admittance letter
- Personal statement form
- Recommendation forms