“Live in Control” is a four-week diabetes self-management education program taught by certified lifestyle coaches. The goal of this program is to empower individuals who are living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes with the knowledge and tools to better manage their diabetes. “Live in Control” is a family-centered program that encourages support from family and friends, enables problem solving through real-life situations, and helps participants identify what works and what doesn’t work as well in managing diabetes
This program emphasizes:
- Diabetes disease basics
- What is the safe blood glucose range?
- What are the signs of low blood glucose and how do you treat it?
- What should your blood glucose be before and after eating?
- Testing blood glucose levels
- Basics of checking your blood glucose
- Where to test your blood glucose
- Portion size and meal planning
- The three main nutrients in foods
- How carbs affect blood glucose
- Reading food labels
- Creating a health plate
- Physical activity and diabetes
- What should your blood glucose be before and after physical activity?
- Medicine and diabetes
- Understand how your medications work and when you should take them
- Preventing diabetes complications
- Which annual exams should be scheduled
- What to watch for at home
If you are interested in attending the “Live in Control” class, please fill out the contact form.