Personalized Care that Sets us Apart
Each patient at the UMC Breast Center of Excellence receives personalized care tailored 100 percent to them.
Personalized care at the UMC Breast Center of Excellence means that we cover all aspects of care for patients. In doing so, we offer various services and programs that not only have to do with physical well-being but also for your mental, social and emotional well-being.
Breast Center of Excellence Tumor Board
We hold a tumor board that meets weekly. ALL specialties are involved including: breast surgeons, medical oncologists, radiological oncologists and pathologists. Discussion is centered on each individual patient until an all-encompassing treatment plan is 100 percent agreed upon. Nurses, research staff, psychologists and physical/occupational therapists also play an important role in planning patient treatment and recovery. We want to make sure you and your loved ones truly receive the best, comprehensive care.
UMC Cancer Center Women’s Boutique
For years, we have offered the women’s boutique as a space for breast cancer patients to come and receive some peace and relief during a difficult time. Patients can come in and pamper themselves with multiple accessories such as hats, earrings, scarves, wigs and breast prosthesis. Your ability to pay doesn’t matter. UMC recently re-vamped this area with more privacy and femininity. We want you to know that you are beautiful, no matter what!
Look Good, Feel Better
This American Cancer Society program is available to all women undergoing treatment for cancer. It is a non-medical public service program that teaches beauty techniques to help you manage the appearance-related side effects of cancer treatment. The program includes lessons on skin and nail care, cosmetics, wigs and turbans, accessories and styling. Above all, we help our cancer patients find some normalcy in a life that is no longer normal.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor about Breast Cancer
The doctors, nurses, and other members of your care team at the UMC Breast Center of Excellence are the best source of information about breast cancer. They will explain your diagnosis, treatment options, and progress. We encourage you to take an active role in your care by learning about your cancer and its treatment by asking questions.
Not sure where to begin? Here are some questions that can help get you started.
- Will I need any other tests before we decide on treatment?
- Do I need to see any other doctors or health professionals?
- Should I think about genetic testing? If so, what are the pros and cons of testing?
- Should I think about taking part in a clinical trial?
- Will any of the treatment be done by other doctors?
- How much experience do you have in treating this?
- What would the goal of treatment be?
- What symptoms or side effects should I tell you about right away?
- What would we do if treatment doesn’t work or if the cancer comes back?
If you’re undergoing surgery:
- Are you exclusively focused on breast?
- How many breast surgeries a year do you perform?
- How many surgeries like mine have you done?
- Can I have reconstruction at the same time as the surgery to remove the cancer?
- What level of plastic surgery are you trained in?
- What is your rate of second operation?